For clarification: My remarks were intended to remind our colleague of the
Catholic church hierarchy requirements that clerics and nuns spout the
party line. Sr. Nirmala was responding as per the requirement of her oath
of office to a question about abortion. As a nun she was not "free" to make
a remark outside of the peremeters of Catholic churches official line.

She may also be a Brahmin, or a Raiders fan for all I know, but I think she
spoke not out of a culturally Indian perspective (which you who are more
aware than I may feel free to attack) but out of her office as the
spokesperson for the convent founded by the now dead Teresa.

In either event I believe it is anyone's perrogative to point out the
feminist question.  And while it is true that the leading cause of death
last year in India for women was burning, the leading cause of death in the
workplace in California for the last two years was ALSO violence,
perdominantly at the hands of a disgruntled former (male) lover/spouse, and
only occasionally by a sexual harrasser that the company had failed to
discipline.