Bill Burgess wrote:

> Michael Perelman asked if we should not have the right to pass protective
> regulations in a city or state or country. Of course, and I'm all for
> improving the regulations. But he goes on to say "The problem is that
> capitalists use trade organizations to break down the protection of local
> control".
>
> First, on the *strictly formal* level, and please correct me if
> I am wrong, I don't think NAFTA stops countries from adopting national
> regulations etc. It mainly imposes a certain kind of 'template' on
> these, which I understand as a kind of a pro capitalist trade 'template';
> an extention of the direction GATT moved in for decades, e.g. no
> 'discrimination' against capitalists on the basis of (certain specific)
> nationalities.

I am not sure what the template means.  If California passes a law that
restricts pesticide use, it can be challenged as a restraint of trade.
Sometimes such protective legislation is just proectionism, but often it
is not.

> If Michael is saying our stance on trade should be based on something like
> "protection via local control" under capitalism, well, I just can't agree,
> because it seems to me like tilting at windmills, or weaving ropes out of
> sand, or some such metaphor.

I am not saying that our stance on trade should be based on something
like
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department