> From:          James Devine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       [PEN-L:11632] re: "the Beats"

> Not to beat this into the ground, but Barbara Ehrenreich wrote a book which
> I believe is titled HEARTS OF MEN, which argues at length that the Beats
> criticized family institutions (using both theory and practice) in a way
> that exempts themselves from responsibility of helping raise children,
> etc., without criticizing the inequalities of power in the usual family.

Barbara's a fine lady but invoking her authority on this
topic  . . . you might as well ask Hillary Clinton.  As for
what the Beats didn't talk about, you might as well
indict the entire pre-1972 left for male chauvinism.
What does that have to do with, say, the merits of
William Z. Foster?

I don't recall whatever the criticism of family institutions in
the Beats.  I would say any such implied criticism was
founded on a bigger dilemma, namely the moral and
spiritual wreckage of society writ large -- the foundation
for deformation of family relationships.

It's also a little silly to criticize 1950's gays for failure to
build nuclear families, since they were barely permitted
to exist openly as individuals in the first place.

> I must admit I only glanced at the book, so if anyone has corrections I'd
> appreciated them.

Only these few.

Cheers,

Max

"People say I'm arrogant, but I know better."

                              -- John Sununu

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.