Jim:
Thanks for your response which turns this exchange into a quite interesting
debate.  While I belive that we do come from the same political and
philosophical camp, we also differ on at least two points -- which I
elaborate below.

First, I think you misinterpret my position on the role of the government
and related institutions vis a vis institutionalised racial/ethnic
seggregation (or apartheid - let's call a spade a spade).  It is my
impression that you tend to view the behaviour of these institutions in a
"psychologistic" (pardon the lack of a better terminology) fashion -- that
is, behaviour resulting from "psychological" processes taking place within
the actors' minds: tastes, preferences, reasons, calculations, emotions,
etc.  Moreover, you seem to attribute such an understanding to my arguments.

That can be illustrated by your argument where you cite Plessy v. Fergusson
to contradict my position that the courts were not as benign on race
relations as my postings seem to imply.  That indeed would be the case, if I
argued that the Plessy decision was motivated primarily by the Supremes'
personal tastes, convictions and kindred psychological states.  The point
is, however, that this is NOT the interpretation I assume and, I belive, I
stated that in my previous postings (granted, you can also find imprecise,
or over-blown, over-generalized statements in my postings, but this is more
like a live debate than presenting carefully formulated position papers,
therefore iterations of statements, queries, and clarifications are a part
of normal dialectical process known as debating).

My own interpretation implies "situational logic" -- that treats behaviour
as resulting from another behaviour (rather than psychological processes
within the actors' minds) or more generally, "situations."  The Plessy case
you cite is a perfect example to support that.  As you know, Plessy came as
a reaction to seggregation laws enacted in Louisiana & other Southern states
-- that required the provision of separate facilities for Blacks.  To my
knowledge, these laws received considerable popular support in the South,
but were opposed by business, especially the railroad industry --because
law-mandated seggregation imposed on them the additional burden of providing
extra "separate but equal" cars when trains were passing through the
affected territories.  The case would have never reached the Supreme Court,
if the railroads had not supported the plaintiff.  That, I guess, falls in
line with the "price logic" outlined by Milton Friedman, but there is more
into it.

The High Cout had a choice of siding either with Plessy & the railroad
industry  that supported him, or with the racist sentiments that were
running high during the Reconstruction era.  The court chose the latter
against the logic of capitalist "efficiency" -- which, BTW, supports my
position expressed in my previous posting that business can't always have
what it wants in courts.  I am not an expert on the US history, but it looks
to me that the political turf battles between the parties and branches of
the government that developed during the Reconstruction period prevailed
this time over the logic of capitalist accumulation.

This is precisely what I call "situationism."  The key players make their
decisions on the "here and now" considerations in reaction to what the other
players did or might do -- high or low motives are ascribed to their actions
later, when the dust settles.  The abolition of slavery by Lincoln can be
viewed in a psychologistic fashion, as an expression of his abhorrence to
this peculiar institution (which, to my knowledge, can be documented), but
that looks pretty much like ex post facto rationalisation.  A situationist
interpretion would cite the expediency for the war effort as the main
reason.  In the same vein, the US war on Nazi Germany was hardly an
exprerssion of moral opposition to the Holocaust, or even Naziism -- as many
key figures in American oligarchy wholeheartedly supported Hitler (Henry
Ford reportedly sent him a birthday present every year) -- it was a
strategic move in imperial politics of world domination. The gambit paid
off, and bourgeois historians could take a high moral ground and ascribe
lofty motives (which, curiously, did not prevent the US from refusing to
accept Jewish refugees during the war) for the US entry to WWII.

>From that standpoint, it matters little whether the opposition to slavery
that came from the federal government (sometimes the congress, sometimes the
executive, sometimes both) was motivated by "good intentions" -- a more
realistic view is that it probably was not.  What matters, from my
standpoint, is that -- whatever its motives -- this oppostion had a peculiar
effect on the American society, especially in the South: by destroying the
formal institutions of racism, it drove racism "underground" to semi-formal
and informal instituions, like churches, clubs, associations -- where it
survived alive and well to this day (with a little help from opportunistic
politicians, to be sure). To my knowledge, the "civic associations" like the
Ku-Klux-klan were formed during the Reconstruction era -- precisely in
reaction to the passage of the 14th amendment and federal efforts to give
Southern Blacks full citizen rights.

In that context, the racist sentiments in the US may not be as intensive on
the individual level as those expressed by, say, Le Pen and his cronies --
but on the societal level they are much deeply entrenched in the society and
its institutions than is racism in Western European countries.

I also gather that your opposition to my argument comes from what
sociologist Gerhard Lenski identified as one of the key differences between
the Right and the Left: the position on the relationship between the people
and the social order.  According to Lenski, the Right assumes that the
people are intrinsically evil, competitive and selfish, and it is only the
social order and its institutions that move them on a "higher moral level"
than transcends the innate evil and selfishness.  The Left, by contrast,
believes that the poeple are intrinsically good, cooperative and altruistic,
but that innate qualities are subverted by the social order and its
institutions. Since judgng from the closing remarks in your last posting,
you seem to interpret my argument as coinciding with the Rightist position
as described above, you try to refute it.

As I stated earlier, I tend to interpret behaviour in situationist terms,
therefore my position falls outside the Righ-Left dichotomy as described by
Lenski.  Specifically, I am not arguing that the American people are
inherently racists & evil (must be their genetic makeup, as most white
Americans are descendants of convicts, fugitive criminals, and other social
misfits kicked out from Europe :)).

What I am arguing is that because of specific historical circumstances,
especially the destruction of formal racist instituions by the feds without
destroying the informal and semi-formal institutions, like church, clubs or
associations (which in Europe often fell victims of the war waged by the
state against the church or later the nascent working class movement) --
these institutions became a safe haven for racism and bigotry.  Again, I am
not arguing that all American people are that way, or blaming those who are
that way, or even suggesting that this situation cannot be changed.  What I
am arguing is that the problem and its seriousness (as I see them, of
course) must be recognised and acknowledged, before it can be effectively
dealt with -- just like in the AA's 12-step program: continuing denial
precludes the effective application of the program.

It is my impression that most activist and intellectuals on the Left  tend
to believe that the political plight we are now experiencing is a sole
result of politcal machinations of the elite, corruption on the top, and the
subversion of the political process - but one day the people will rise and
revolt against all that corruption and welfare lines (as Tracy Chapman
signs).  What I am saying is "it ain't so easy" -- before we see a
progressive government or even a set of policies installed, leat alone a
revolution, we are likely to experience a set of racial/ethnic tensions,
riots and even pogroms.  In fact, this was precisely what happen with the
opposition to the arbitrariness of Reconstruction politics, any effort to
unite poor Blacks and poor Whites quickly fell apart, as the Whites fell for
the racist propaganda of the Democrat party.

In your posting you mention the weakness of the Left and class based
politics in this country -- and there is a good reason for that weakness.
While the direct cause of that weakness is the class war waged by the
oligarchy, it is also true that oligarchies evrywehere (especially in
Europe) waged a war against the working class.  However, the American
oligarchy was more successful in that class war than their Europeans
counterpart. Of course, as you mention, there are many reasons behind that
(frontier mentality, expansionism etc.) but the survival of race and ethnic
divisions, and racism and bigotry, was one of such key factors.  Since that
factor is still present, it is likely to exert similar influence in the
recent class war.

I think it was Steven Biko (or Nelson Mandela?) who said that the mind of
the oppressed is the most potent weapon of the oppressor.  That apt
observation ceratinly applies here with a full force.

Finally, I tend to be swayed by your arguments that comparing the US to
Fascim can be a rather ineffective heuristic strategy because most people
will perceive it as hyperbolism.  While I still think that there are
substantial similarities, among them the reliance on bureaucratic
authoritarian mechanism to control the society and labor in particular,
focusing on those similiarities may not be the best publicity or organising
strategy.  BTW, the Istook effort to "defund" 501(c)(3)'s brings the
memories of the Italian and German fascists to "switch off" civic
organisations of the Left, not only unions, but mutual associations,
self-help groups, community clubs etc.  What Istook and his GOP-ster cronies
try to do in Congress, their fascist backers in the field try to accomplish
by the same means as the nazi thugs did in Italy & Germany -- assault,
assasination, bombing, burning.  The analogy between Kristallnacht (or Staat
Pogrom Nacht --as I am told the German Left prefers to call it) and the
burning of Black churches in the South or bombing abortion clinics -- is
difficult to escape, even though it might be rather uncomfortable for the
Whites.

regards,

wojtek sokolowski
institute for policy studies
johns hopkins university
baltimore, md 21218
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (410) 516-4056
fax:   (410) 516-8233

POLITICS IS THE SHADOW CAST ON SOCIETY BY BIG BUSINESS. AND AS LONG AS THIS
IS SO, THE ATTENUATI0N OF THE SHADOW WILL NOT CHANGE THE SUBSTANCE.
- John Dewey