Michael,

Interesting point.  Is this an off-hand opinion or supported by some
evidence?  Reason I ask is that I am not aware of any efforts by UFW in the
period of the development of mechanical harvesters to target tomato pickers
for organization, and given that these machines, as I recall, were
introduced before the UFW had an established base, it is not clear to me
that this was a driving motivation.  Given the difficulty Chavez had
establishing a presence in grape fields, I rather doubt that the corporate
moguls who controlled much of California agriculture were quaking at the
prospect of a union in the tomato fields.  I am perfectly happy, however, to
be educated on this point.

michael e.