It seems to me that all this discussion actually ties very well into the Hahnel
and  Albert Participatory Economics.  Doug Henwood was asking whether a more
humane system could appropriate all the benefits of modernization and separate
them from exploitation, polarization, and the destruction of nature.  They appear
to offer a very plausible description of  how to do just that.

Michael is dealing with the centralization of power in job definitions, the
centralization of information.  Again PE  very specifically suggests ways to
reorganize work so that empowerment, desirability  and access to information are
divided roughly evenly.  And I think your suggestion that such a redefinition
would be more efficient even in the narrow sense is correct.

They even touch lightly on the technology issue, with a hint of how computer
technology should evolve to better serve PE.

I know Pen-L  has discussed PE to death already.  But if you really are stuck for
a feasible and humane alternative to capitalism, maybe it is worth another look.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays

Gar Lipow
[EMAIL PROTECTED]