Maggie,
    What about when there are both taxes and subsidies as
we see in France and Germany?
     Actually when the major US environmental laws were put
in place in the early 70s most of the profession advocated
taxes, an idea dating back at least to Pigou.  This was
rejected in favor of what are essentially command and
control systems.  The politics was that pollution is "sin"
and taxes would let people pay for sin, rather than
outlawing it.  Of course the c and c system didn't outlaw
it either, just dealt with it in a very arbitrary way.
This predated the push for tradeable permits.
Barkley Rosser

--
Rosser Jr, John Barkley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]