I don't like markets in general.  Prostitution is just a commercialization
of another human relationship.

I think Fred Lane is onto something in looking at the class nature of th
subject.

Some sleeze cruises around and picks on a poor young girl who has few
options in life.  He has the upper hand in every sense.  I think that Jim
Craven is thinking of such people.

When toe-sucking Dickie Morris pays a couple of grand to his sex worker,
she is in a position to look down on him.  So he calls up Clinton to
impress her -- and apparently did not succeed.

I see different power relations working here.  The woman from Berkeley
presumably was not cruising the street, but because of her gifts of
education and probably physical attractiveness probably was mostly in
command of her situation.

Rather than criticizing the people we should take note of the
circumstances that make them have to do what they do.

I assume that if society presented better opportunities even our happy sex
worker might have chosen another path.
 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department