>This, along with the disappearance of the saber-tooth tiger, is another one
>of those "gotchas" that figures prominently in the right-wing repertory.
>Hutchinson, in "Remaking of the Amerind", wrote that the Crow once drove
>700 buffalo off the edge of a cliff. This anecdote has made the rounds of
>the Rush Limbaugh show, the National Review and other venues.
>
>What he does not deal with is the question of whether the Crow *wasted* the
>meat, but only projected what whites would do in capitalist society into
>hunting-and-gathering society. But, even granting the possibility that
>Indians left the meat to rot, are we supposed to draw general conclusions
>about this one incident? It is amazing that such events are so isolated in
>Indian societies. When whites killed millions of beaver and buffalo
>wantonly and allowed valuable parts of the animal to go to waste, how can
>we even begin to compare our society to their's? This of course is the goal
>of Hutchinson and other apologists for capitalism, to legitimize the waste
>that our system has institutionalized.

Yes, but i wasn't making any attempt to be relative here. The capitalist
societies are rapacious in the extreme and that cannot be attenuated by
saying everyone else has baggage in the cupboard too.

In general i agree with the interpretation that many of the native
american tribes felt as one with nature.

kind regards
bill
         ####    ##        William F. Mitchell
       #######   ####      Head of Economics Department
     #################     University of Newcastle
   ####################    New South Wales, Australia
   ###################*    E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ###################     Phone: +61 49 215065
    #####      ## ###      Fax:   +61 49 216919
                           Mobile: 0419 422 410
                  ##

WWW Home Page: http://econ-www.newcastle.edu.au/economics/bill/billeco.html