Dear Friends,

But isn't it the case that in precapitalist societies, there is nothing
inherent in the societies which leads to the destruction of nature.  On
the contrary, there appear to be many what we might call social
reproductive mechanisms designed to insure some sort of ecological
balance.  In capitalism, on the other hand, the drive to accumulate
capital is tied to the drive to turn all into commodities for the
accumulation of capital.  This is a system guaranteed to ravage nature,
no?  I mean did the Indiands produce the mining towns of Montana, or for
that matter the minng town I was born in, where there were no trees and
everything was covered with dust?

Michael Yates