> From:          Sid Shniad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > My impression is that the Irish are underpricing the rest of
> > the EU in labor and other costs and benefiting for that reason,
> > thus for them in particular a lowering of trade barriers will help
> > more than hurt.
>
> Max, aren't there one or two other issues of relevance in discussing the
> EMU other than whether one country or another will do relatively better
> vis-a-vis the others?
>
> What about social policy and the role of the Bundesbank in imposing
> neoliberalism as the core of the European framework?
>
> (Sorry to keep bringing up this distasteful subject.)

True enough.  I was responding narrowly to the post
because I wasn't feeling expansive.

In this vein, FYI, I wrote a piece in New Economy (the
Brit soc-dem/labour journal) criticizing the evolution
of EU tax policy.  By some odd coincidence, my advice
on EU policy seems to be solicited somewhat less often
these days.  Oh well.  Goodbye Paris, hello Detroit.

MBS

Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036
http://tap.epn.org/sawicky

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute other than this writer.