In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "William S. Lear"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>("Equilibrium theory in a shambles? Post-Keynesians and Marxists
>nipping at your heels? Try new and improved Complexity ... wow
>credulous journalists and the 'Nobel' committee ... great on Congress
>... removes social conflict in one easy application ... no thinking
>necessary").

A good critique of complexity theory, both as it applies to human
society and in itself, can be found in John Gillott and Manjit Kumar's
Science and the Retreat from Reason, which I believe has just been
published by Monthly Review Press.

A rather dismal example of how complexity theory can be squared with the
social and political programme of Tony Blair can be found in 'Connexity'
by Geoff Mulgan, recently recruited to the Prime Minister's think tank,
Chatto and Windus, 1997.

Fraternally
--
James Heartfield