[apologies to non-U.S. correspondents- this is a U.S. action, tho it is part
of the international week of actions against MAI. on the intl front we are
still looking for signatories to the intl ngo stmt against the MAI, posted
earlier. also, i would be interested if anyone has access to MAI materials
in languages besides English, esp. Spanish and French, such as the draft
MAI, NGO stmt, or fact sheets. Thanks. Robert Naiman, Global Trade Watch]

Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI)
FIELD ACTION ALERT!

The time to derail the MAI negotiations is NOW!

Currently the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (the
OECD, the rich countries club where the secretive MAI is being negotiated)
is frantically attempting to meet their unrealistic April deadline to
complete the politically troubled MAI.

At a high level meeting in Paris next month, the OECD member countries will
reconsider the April deadline, and take-up the possibility of abandoning the
MAI altogether.

Help us send a message to the Clinton Administration that the MAI is a bad
deal for America and that the US should withdraw from negotiations
immediately!

On February 10th, call both your Senators' district or DC offices,
and ask for their "trade staff."
Use this toll-free number for DC calls, 1-800-522-6721, or you can call
directly.
Introduce yourself, express your concerns about the MAI
and say something like this:

I am concerned that the Clinton Administration is rushing into the MAI, a
dangerous new investment treaty that will expand NAFTA-like investment rules
globally. I would like Senator [insert name] to call the White House and the
US State Department to urge the Clinton Administration to immediately
withdraw from MAI negotiations. The agreement does not serve the best
interests of Americans and must be abandoned.

Here are some talking points:

The MAI undermines state and local sovereignty by restricting governments'
ability to regulate foreign investment and corporate accountability.

Negotiations should not have reached such an advanced stage without public
knowledge or participation.

The MAI lacks protections for the environment, labor and human rights.