In a message dated 98-02-22 13:50:11 EST, Jason Hecht writes:

<< When one goes up for tenure, do NCs (and P&B committee members) regard URPE
 publications as "legitimate?"  When I was at the New School, it was clear
that
 faculty publications in URPE were not considered "valid." >>

Actually, this contradiction applies to the whole range of heterodox journals:

Feminist Economics, ROPE, ROSE, etc.  I think the publication position of most
departments changes depending on whether they want the person tenured or not.
At least this is what I hear from those who have and are seeking tenure.
Specifically at the New School, there were professors tenured with
publications ONLY in "lefty" journals and  professors denied tenure with
publications in a wide range of journals, and professors tenured with almost
no publications in any journals.  A little like Alice Through the Looking
Glass -- the rules changed constantly so she could never win. (hmmmm, notice
how I 'slipped' into a female example -- do you think this is freudian?)

Aside from those rather snide comments, I think the more interesting question
is how to get some of these lefty journals talking to each other and the rest
of the profession rather than addressing their little piece of audience.
Feminist Economics was named one of the year's best journals primarily because
it appeals to a broad spectrum of feminist economics.  I think if the debate
amongst other heterodox journals became more interactive, there would be not
choice but for the rest of the profession to join in the debate.

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]