Susan, Al, Lori, et. al.,

Yes! Great you got this out on pen-l as soon as possible is better.
I've been feeling guilty and depressed about this since I heard - but was
not able (or not up to) to log on for a while.

Lori - Yes, I absolutely agree. This is when we need Roemer, Heibroner,
Galbraith etc. to make a case that this is not the way to run a
professional organization (i.e. to treat members like employees and
dictate conditions to them with no input consultation, warning not to
mention democratic process) Maybe we could scare the "good image" of the
AEA witha legal challenge or just nasty public relations at next meeting.

Anyway its easy to talk...

Al, could you forward letter to Germai and all of us so we have factual
stuff to go on - at least as much as they're willing to share with us
though Al's e-mail appeared to be comprehensive.

Maybe we should write a letter on e-mail and ask Germai to send to all
important URPE members to express their outrage to AEA. An AEA card
burning session in Washington? - maybe that what they want us to do.

I'm thinking out loud here - but I think we need to get something out to
our membership as an urgent emergency message and coordinate with other
groups.

Somebody should call Roemer, Heibroner, Galbraith, I'm thinkingof the
names on Germai's poster -

And I think Al, it seems to me that it would be good if you could call
the AEA and try to talk with them about this before the SC meeting -
maybe get some more dope on how this was done , who's behind it and what
if any appeal process there is , and maybe they have info on the
orginal agreement as well.

Also, we need to contact Frank Thompson and others who have been ASSA
coordinators to see what they know and if there is anything in writing
onthe URPE allotment - although you're probably already trying to do this...

There is also the publicity angle. Should be getting this out in the
press? It might be embarrassing to the ASSA if say the ACLU got into this
or whomever as ideological censorship? Of course we would need to be able
to counter a lot of their psuedo rationales - Maybe I'm just flying off
the handle on this.

Just some midnite meanderings,
Vinceremos !

Ron

Ron Baiman
Dept. of Economics
Roosevelt University    Fax: 312-341-3680
430 South Michigan Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60605 Voice:  312-341-3694