I am not arguing that the SU was a credit to Marxism -- only that the
ethnic repression did suppress outbreaks of ethnic hostility.

I was asking for help in creating a balance sheet, not for people to
applaud or denounce the SU -- just to get a feeling for the overall
impact.

Also, I misunderstood Bhodi. when he said that the expansion of the SU was
the major concern.  In my narrow economistic mind, I thought that he meant
economic expanision.

I still believe that all out neo-liberalism would have been impossible
with a functioning SU.  Capitalist leaders would have had to keep up
appearances of a social safety net.

 --
Michael Perelman
Economics Department