On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, R. Anders Schneiderman wrote:

> I don't see how you'd put that in anything other than the minus column.
> First off, it's hard to see how slaughtering or interning people is a plus.
>  Second, this strategy was ultimately a failure:  once the repression
> stopped, the old ethnic tensions flared right back up again.

This assumes that the ethnic tensions of the post SU period are simply the
renewed flames of ancient rivalry that rising again from a transhistoric
ur-type of inter-group rivalry.  Although this is the line of the New York
Times and others (who would rather not talk about class forces) it simply
doesn't work in the face of a complicated history of the FSU and eastern
europe as well.  Ethnic and national identity are clearly socially
constructed and change in their nature and logic over time.

Sean Noonan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kansas State University
Manhattan Kansas USA