> RELEASED TODAY: In May 1997, about 25.0 million full-time wage and
> salary workers had flexible work schedules that allowed them to vary the
> time they began or ended work.  The proportion of workers with such
> schedules was 27.6 percent, up sharply from the 15.1 percent recorded
> when the data were last collected in May 1991.  The increase in flexible
> work schedules was widespread across demographic groups, occupations,
> and industries ....About 15.2 million persons normally worked a shift
> other than a regular daytime schedule ....

These are astounding figures.  Can anyone in the class correlate them
with the growth of computer use?
When I started ranting about the organic need for flex-time ~20 years ago
most people treated me like something left behind by a flying saucer;
their utter lack of imagination seemed more a manifestation of the law of
entropy than a political failing.  No doubt they now say that they knew it
all along.  It's so exhilarating to live in a country of pioneers!

                                                                   valis