        Sent:   Friday, May 29, 1998 1:57 PM
        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        [PEN-L:298] spud-heads at work

        I thought that William Baumol was a smart guy, however
ideological he might
        be. But on pages 237 and 238 of his into textbook (written with
Alan
        Blinder, a similar sort) he implies (without saying so) that
price controls
        on potato prices contributed to the great potato famine. He
quotes some
        hoary old guy (Mountifort Longfield) writing in 1843 instead of
even a nod
        in the direction of Sen's analysis of famines...

        I've got a bunch of MBA students reading this. I'm tempted to
veer from my
        energy-saving strategy of "simply teaching the standard stuff to
get my 6
        grand" to rant & rave about the reason my ancestors _really_
came over here.

        in pen-l solidarity,

        Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
        http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html
        "It takes a busload of faith to get by." -- Lou Reed.