At 01:01 PM 8/11/98 -0400, Louis Proyect wrote:
>Probably for the same reason so many Russians abused vodka. If you were
>living in a society that you had no control over, lived in oppressively
>monotonous housing, had no chance of material improvement, wouldn't you
>take advantage of every little "kick" that came along?

Lou, that is bull.  Alcohol consumption in EE was deliberately encouraged
under the feudal regime (which lasted until 1883) to increase the profits
of landowners who also controlled alcohol production.  I do not know if
that that is also true for tobacco, though.

Alcohol and tobacco served an important social function, though - as an
ice-breaking and male-bonding ritual.  My Dad who was an exec in the
shipbuilding industry said that no deal with the Russians was possible
without talking it over the table filled with bottles.

PS.  Your essay on Private Ryan was superb!

Regards,

Wojtek Sokolowski