>Basically, those in power during the Soviet era have for the most part
remained.
>The bureaucrats who were in charge of enterprises and the economy in general
>have become the new 'owners' through the ridiculous 'privatisation' process,
>which has been no more than a formal process ascribing legal rights to the
>directors of the enterpeises who practiced control over them in reality.

I'd heard a lot about this before, but for some reason this time it
reminded me of the way in which the British imperialists in India granted
capitalist land-ownership rights to what had been political functionaries
in the past.

On the issue of the people being hurt by the current crisis: US National
Public Radio reported that a lot of Russians are trying to dump all the
rubles they can to get hard currency, including dollars.

Thanks for the excellent reports on Russia! Muchissimas gracias!

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html