On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Louis Proyect wrote:

> As it turns out, there were ZERO occurrences of the word "fuck" on PEN-L,
> while there were 26 occurrences on the Progressive Sociology archives. So
> when Don Roper said that PEN-L had more occurrences than any other
> mailing-list, clearly he was lying. I only wonder why he didn't bother to
> check his facts first. I suppose that it is in the nature of a bully to
> assume that he is always in the right.

Don suggested that searches be done on individual lists under
       http://csf.colorado.edu/lists/
rather than under http://csf.colorado.edu/econ
and http://csf.colorado.edu/soc
because the latter two composites are incomplete for the individual lists.
And, it turns out, the search engine for
http://csf.colorado.edu/econ  was broken, thus Proyect's finding of zero
hits.

When you do the more complete search for the string "fuck" as suggested by
Don you get the following results:

Ecological and Sustainable Economics:  10 hits on 10 files
ELAN (Environment-Latin America Net:    0          0
IPE (International Political Economy)   1          1
WSN (World Systems Network)             30         9
PKT (Post-Keynesian Thought)            18          14
Homeless                                44          27

PEN-L                                  108         82

As someone who has worked with Don since the very beginning of CSF and who
witnesses the amount of time and resources he puts into this server, I am
fed up with innuendoes and now spurious accusations. If progressives
cannot trust each other and communicate with respect despite ideological
and/or procedural differences, our struggles for social change are doomed
to failure.

in solidarity,

Martha

*************************
Martha E. Gimenez
http://csf.colorado.edu/martha/

About copyright and the quality of communication CSF stands for:

  ================ CSF Communications Guidelines ================

 CSF (Communications for a Sustainable Future) was founded on the
idea that quality communications between people of differing viewpoints
can be an avenue for securing a more promising future.  So, when you join
a csf-list, you are undertaking a modest obligation to write in a way that
is respectful of the views of others.

  Electronic discussion is, of course, notorious for flame wars.  But ad
hominem arguments and personal slights are not encoded on silicon chips.
The vast majority of subscribers enter with good intentions but somehow,
through this new medium, good intentions can be undermined with slight
spins to which others can take offense.  So please be careful about
process -- about how you say what you wish to say.  Help us keep the
intended meaning of the word "communications" in CSF.

      ******** CSF/CU POLICY ON COPYRIGHT MATERIAL ********

CSF is housed at the University of Colorado at Boulder.  The University
provides not only the infrastructure but other support for CSF.  Since
CSF runs on a "CU machine," we follow current policies of CU.
One important policy is that copyright materials can not be distributed
on discussion lists nor archived in web sites at the university.

We appreciate your cooperation in support of this policy.