Louis Proyect wrote:

>Doug Henwood:
>>How can you stop this process? From your own example, Michael, its
>>"victims" embrace it with enthusiasm. From what democratic point of view
>>can you hinder it? "Civilization" has committed many crimes against
>>indigenous peoples, but I don't see how you can number Coca-Cola and movies
>>among them.
>
>Why do you put "victims" in quotes, Doug? Nobody is demanding that the
>people like the Yanomami not drink Coca-Cola or use shotguns. The demand
>centers around land-claims. Multinational corporations are attempting to
>evict them so that they can drill for oil, extract gold, or chop down trees
>to turn into pulp. If traders went into the Amazon and opened up
>convenience stores, there wouldn't be such a hue-and-cry from Greenpeace,
>Survival International, etc. People wouldn't set up tables in downtown
>Berkeley to ban the sale of soft-drinks or porn videos in the rainforest.
>I have no idea why there is so much confusion about these issues. It is not
>a question of preserving the "noble savage." It is instead a question of
>defending people against murder.

That distinction is exactly why I put victim in quotes - trying to draw a
distinction between Coca-Cola and murder. I'm 1,000% against stealing land
and killing indigenes; it's one of the reasons (slavery being the other) I
say that the U.S. is a country founded on great crimes.

But there's a strand of left thinking that thinks that people should be
shielded from the "corruptions" of consumer society, and I have a big
problem with that.

Doug