Ajit wrote: >>>Since all the claims to "truth" are arbitrary, <<<

I wrote: >>Ajit, why should anyone believe this sweeping statement? that
is, why is it true? (Since it is a premise for the rest of the comment, its
falsity undermines the rest.) If it's not true, I wonder why you found it
worthwhile to state this non-fact. Does it serve your self-interest? does
it fit with your cultural, ethnic, and/or gender-based biases? does it
reflect subconscious neuroses? is it simply hot air? <<

Ajit replies: >Very funny, but not true ;). Theoretically speaking, one can
show the
arbitrariness of all the truth claims made up till now without having to
make any truth claims of one's own. That's all I have been saying.<

Is it a central part of post-rational "thought" that one simply repeats
one's point rather than defending it? (or to find jokes that aren't there?)

So, I'll repeat mine: in what sense can one "show" the "arbitrariness of
all the truth claims"? why should we believe your "demonstration" if it is
also arbitrary? why should we listen to you if you are not making truth
claims of some sort? (are you claiming that we should read your postings to
pen-l because they are aesthetically pleasing?)

what do you mean by "arbitrary"?

The most fitting definitions in my dictionary have this word meaning "based
on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than
necessity or the intrinsic nature of something" or "existing or coming
about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable
act of will" (WEBSTER'S NINTH NEW COLLEGIATE DICTIONARY.)

If you are asserting that assertions of truth necessarily have subjective
components, I agree.

I don't think anyone ever can know the "absolute" or "objective" truth. So
any assertion of such knowledge is more than merely arbitrary. It's
ideological.

But some propositions are more true than others; some are less ideological
than others. Some views are more logical, fit with the actuality of the
phenomenon being described (which unfortunately can only be understood via
empirical evidence), or are methodologically more sound than others. Some
are better guides to practice than others.

The difficulty is that the truth about world that exists outside of our
perceptions is that it's multidimensional, complex. So, for example, a
proposition that's more logically coherent than another could easily be
less consistent with known evidence.  People can choose between a variety
of different propositions that are "equally true" following their
subjective desires. But that does not make efforts to get a greater
understanding of what the heck is going on "arbitrary" or futile.

Assertions of truth aren't _simply_ subjective. Many of them can be knocked
down, criticized for being illogical, not fitting the evidence, incomplete,
etc. Some of them can't be falsified in any way. Though I reject Popperian
hard-core falsificationism, it seems a good idea to make it explicit when a
proposition isn't falsifiable and try to avoid relying too much on such
propositions. The point is that there are constraints on our subjective
choices about what we think is true or untrue.

I think it's pretty well established that Elvis is dead and that the Nazis
killed a whole lot of innocent people. My assertions of the truth of these
propositions are not arbitrary (though perhaps my choice of which
propositions to make was arbitrary).

Paul, it's been a long time since I read Lenin's contributions on this
stuff. I wish you or someone would summarize it for pen-l.

in pen-l solidarity,

Jim Devine   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://clawww.lmu.edu/1997F/ECON/jdevine.html
Econ. Dept., Loyola Marymount Univ.
7900 Loyola Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045-8410 USA
310/338-2948 (daytime, during workweek); FAX: 310/338-1950
"Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way
and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.