From: Charles Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 4:02 PM
Subject: [PEN-L:19761] Re: Re: Re: Dialectical materialism and ecology

>     For those who are curious, I have a recently published
>paper on these issues.
>"Aspects of dialectics and non-linear dynamics," _Cambridge
>Journal of Economics_, May 2000, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 311-324.
>     It is also available on my website without the figures at
>http://cob.jmu.edu/rosserjb.
>Barkley Rosser
>
>(((((((((((((((
>
>Barkley,
>
>Related to mathematically modelling qualitiative change, how about the
integers , counting numbers or whole numbers ? In 1,2,3,4,5... aren't there
discontinuities, leaps, on the real number line ?

>Charles
>
>))))))))))))))))))
>
>III. Catastrophe Theory and Dialectics
>     The key idea for analyzing discontinuities in nonlinear dynamical
systems is bifurcation, and was discovered by Poincaré (1880-1890) who
developed the qualitative theory of differential equations to explain
more-than-two-body celestial mechanics.  Consider a general family of n
differential equations whose behaviour is determined by a k-dimensional
control parameter m, such that

>            dx/dt = fm(x); x 0 Rn, m 0 Rk,                  (1)
>
>with equilibrium solutions given by
>
>                   fm(x) = 0.                              (2)
>
>     Bifurcations will occur at singularities where the first derivative of
fm(x) is zero and the second derivative is also zero, meaning that the
function is not at an extremum, but is rather at a degeneracy.  At such
points structural change can occur as an equilibrium can bifurcate into two
stable and one unstable equilibria.
>     Catastrophe theory involves examining the stable singularities of a
potential function of (1), assuming that there is a gradient.  Thom (1975A)
and Trotman and Zeeman (1976) determined the set of such stable
singularities for various dimensionalities of control and state variables.
Arnol?d, Gusein-Zade, and Varchenko (1985) generalized this analysis to
higher orders of dimensionalities.  These singularities can be viewed as
points at which equilibria lose their stability with the possibility of a
discontinuous change in a state variable(s) arising from a c