Throwing in my 2 cents worth . . . and trying to come at this from another
angle. Democracy is a hard thing to achieve anywhere from the smallest
grouping to the largest country. Maintaining engagement is difficult as
energy and focus fades, as leaders' ambitions take over, as a group faces
strong attacks, as it has to accommodate the needs and views of a diverse
group. With all these things, it gets easier to draw the wagons tighter, to
place boundaries defining groups out, to explain away antidemocratic actions
as excusable and necessary.

As hard as it is to achieve, it is important to strive for it in every
organisation. This is especially the case with unions. For most in the US
and elsewhere, only unions provide a real and sustained opportunity to learn
how to live in a democracy.  Most of the institutions that shape us are
highly autocratic and antidemocratic -- the family, schools (which preach
democratic values and then practice autocracy), and the workplace unless it
is unionized. How can we maintain a democracy on a larger scale if there is
no smaller school in which to learn and practice how to behave as a member
of a democracy?

These lessons not only include those peak moments when people are
participating and empowered but also how they act and react when
anti-democratic forces arise.

So unions aren't perfect democracies and too often aren't even close, but
for most they are the best there is.

Ellen

Ellen J. Dannin
Professor of Law