It is fairly common these days to hear folks say they want to shift their
unions from a "servicing" to an "organizing" model.  They describe this shift
as moving more of the responsibility for grievance handling and problem solving
from staff and officers to stewards.  This supposedly frees up staff for more
organizing.  So, whereas staff and officers had filled some combination of the
functions of lawyer, social worker, insurance agent, advocate, and gladiator,
they now want the stewards to serve those roles.

The fundamental relationship between the members and the union does not change;
only the burden of responsibility shifts.  Stewards become junior business
agents.  Members continue to be consumers of unions services, but they are
expected now to look to someone else for those services.  If this is an
organizing model, the labor movement has a bleak future.  (Consider that this
also suggests that organizing the unorganized remains the responsibility and
primary concern of the union functionaries, not the rank and file.)

I have given up using the term because it has become so widely abused.  The
challenge to the labor movement is not to increase incrementally the pool of
union activists or to turn stewards into business agents so that business
agents can recruit more dues units.  The challenge is to transform power
relations within labor unions so that those organizations can become more
effective instruments for transforming power relations between union members
and employers, and between working people and the capitalist system.

When responsibility is passed from business agents, who are paid functionaries
of the union, to stewards, who for the most part are unpaid workers who still
have to perform their jobs, what happens is that the stewards start to act and
think like paid functionaries, but lacking the salaries and relative freedom,
they also become resentful and begin to demand that they too be compensated for
their extra effort.  Or, they burn out.  They become overwhelmed by new
responsibilities and the expectations of members as consumers thrust upon
them.  They are expected to continue the tradition of handling grievances
through a formal and largely legalistic grievance process, to continue to
trouble-shoot problems, resolve misunderstandings, cut red tape on
benefits...to povide good service to members who have  become accustomed to and
expect that from THE UNION (something referred to as other than themselves).

A transformational or empowerment model of unionism has to break with this
service concept of unionism.  Stewards must perfect their skills as organizers,
educators, and facilitators of actions conceived and executed by groups of
workers around their common concerns.  This is no less demanding, but is far
more rewarding for all involved.  It makes possible the practice of real
democracy (as contrasted with formal democracy).

In solidarity,
Michael E.

At 11:35 PM 11/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Michael Eisenscher wrote:
>
>> Democracy is not a spectator sport; it requires active participation.
Active