Thanks Gil.  One way to contextualize your result is to think of it in response to the
argument that increases in the minimum wage only hurt the people they are intended to
help.  As I understand it, the debate takes this form:

Supporter of living wage: Perhaps there will be some decline in the demand for labor,
but since this demand is highly inelastic (no empirical debate there), the income
collectively received by low-income people, employed and unemployed, will go up.

Opponent: Yes, but the ill-effects are concentrated on a specific, vulnerable group.
If 5% lose their jobs, they will probably be new entrants who will suffer permanent
damage.  So you are making other low-wage workers a little better off so that these
will be devastated.

Supporter: Not so fast.  You are assuming that those whose wages go up are not the
same as those who lose their jobs.  On the contrary, these jobs have very high
turnover, and therefore the job losses, such as they might be, will be temporary and
spread out over the whole population.  Thus most low-wage workers, with a living wage
law, will find themselves working (perhaps) a little less (slightly longer spells of
unemployment between jobs) but making considerably more per hour, thereby coming out
ahead.  It is a false assumption that unemployment will be demographically
concentrated.

Gil: Yes, and not only that, but the decline in labor demand (such as it is) will
express itself in the form of fewer hours, which many or all experience, and not
reduced jobs that could potentially affect a few people intensively.  Since no one
denies that the demand for labor is highly inelastic, my result, combined with the
turnover argument, shows that a living wage law is unambiguously a good thing for
virtually the entirely low-income population.

----

To me, this is now the minimum position that living wage supporters can take,
buttressed by theory and evidence.  I would like to take a maximal position, however,
that through a macro process, the redistribution of income entailed in a living wage
law can stimulate the economy as a whole and thereby potentially offset the
substitution effects of wage change.  We have a modest argument from differences in
the marginal propensity to consume, but I have to admit I'm not happy with this for a
variety of reasons, among which is its apparent inappropriateness in the drastically
low-savings U.S. economy at present.  A better theory would be one that showed that
system-wide change in the income stream could have stimulative effects apart from the
aggregate savings rate.  I would imagine some sort of dynamic out-of-equilibrium
adjustment story employing incomplete information, etc.  This is not my area, but I
have a hunch that a process of this sort really does take place sometimes, if not
always, and that formalizing it would be an enormous contribution to progressive
economics.  If I ran a foundation I would eagerly throw money at anyone interested in
taking this up.

Peter Dorman