At 01:33 PM 11/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>       Gil's comments are very interesting, though I'm not exactly clear what is
>going on in this model.  Could you please explain it a bit further Gil
>and/or send me a copy of the paper?

Bob, I will send you the paper, but for the sake of present discussion, let
me also respond to your comments below, after which I'll talk about the
intuition behind my result.

You write:

>       Without having done careful research on this particular factor, four
>things seem most pertinent for understanding why minimum wages do not
>correlate inversely--or at least not in a straightforward way--with changes
>in employment.  Thinking about a simple labor market with a downward
>sloping demand curve and upward sloping supply curve, these things are:
>
>       1.  Rightward shift in the demand curve, depending on macro factors, which
>in my less than rigorous study of this, seems to swamp the minimum wage
>effect.  Indeed, one could say that the rise in minimum wages almost always
>follows business cycle upswings with a lag.

Possibly true but beside the point, since if the neoclassicals are right
about the _ceteris paribus_ effects of minimum wage, they could
legitimately argue that employment would be *even higher* if the minimum
wage weren't raised.  Conversely, are you suggesting that a living wage
policy should only be implemented in times of strong upswings, to ensure
that any specific disemployment effect would be "swamped" by macro effects?
 Doubtful.

>       2.  Efficiency wage effects, in particular, declines in turnover and
>absenteeism, which by raising productivity, allow us to move up the supply
>curve without hiring more people.

Doesn't help this argument. First,if profit-seeking employers cared about
these effects, minimum wages would be beside the point, since they would
willingly raise the wage above existing minimums now.  But apparently they
don't, so increased minimums will still increase effective labor costs at
the margin and reduce employment.

Second, turnover rates have no direct effect on employment flows, only on
the identities of those employed by the firm at any one time.  Quite
possibly the indirect effects could work in the *opposite* direction that
you suggest, if employers "hoard" labor in order to cover absentees and
departures.  If you're right about the efficiency wage effect,
hoarding--and thus net employment--might go down as a result.

>       3.  There may be some declines in hours worked, if not number of people
>hired; but, as I recall, this doesn't come through so clearly in the work
>of Card and Kreugar, for example, since the total hours were not measured
>that carefully.

Yes, that's my point; see below.  But making it requires invoking
quasi-fixed labor costs, as explained below.  In a perfectly competitive
world without quasi-fixed costs, given that individual labor supply is
upward-sloping, an increase in the minimum wage leads to an *increase* in
hours per worker and thus a *decrease* in number of workers employed.

To put it another way, if you want to advance this argument  seriously, my
paper gives you the theoretical ammunition.

>       4.  Firms absorb the costs, since, in many cases, low-wage labor costs are
>a relatively small proportion of total fixed and variable costs (is this
>similar to Gil's point?); but then they try to pass on costs by raising
>prices, and are partially successful in doing so, especially in the service
>sector, which is not competing with imports from low-wage countries.

That doesn't work either.  Labor demand curves are still downward sloping
(though less elastic) even if firms have product market price-setting
power, as this point suggests.  Other things equal, an increase in the wage
rate would still reduce employment.

This brings us to the point of my paper.  Suppose we're otherwise in a
neoclassical world (for the sake of argument), but there are quasi-fixed
labor costs, i.e. those which vary with the number of workers hired rather
than with the number of hours worked.  Compared to a world without such
costs, the effect of quasi-fixed labor costs is to induce employers to
conserve on number of workers hired and use more hours per worker.

However, *at the margin*, the imposition or increase of a minimum wage
increases the cost of hours relative to the cost of people (that's not
obvious, I know, which is why the paper makes a contribution), leading to a
substitution of people for hours, increasing employment.

Of course, against this "labor substitution" effect is the standard,
negative "quantity demanded" effect from increasing the total cost of
labor, but nothing guarantees that this effect on *workers employed*
offsets the labor substitution effect.  Consequently, there is no *a
priori* basis for concluding that increasing the minimum wage must reduce
worker employment (although hours per worker must go down), **even in this
neoclassical environment.**

Gil