There is plenty of arguments and evidence as why FDI in LDCs do not
displace jobs in the home countries in the same magnitude as popular
perceptions might warrant.  The reason is different segments of the
production process or different types of production are normally farmed
out.  In other words skill intensities vary.  However, this does not mean
that home countries do not suffer from job losses in those sectors.  The
losses result from technological change.  Un- semi-skilled work tends to
get technologically substituted in the home country because of high wage
costs.  Low wage imports add to that burden.  On the average, skill
intensity of imports from LDcs tend to be much lower than competing
industries in the home country.  Most importantly, on the average, FDI is
not determined by low wages.  If that were the case, we would not have
about 70% of global FDI taking place within the triad (US, WEur, Japan).

Anthony P. D'Costa
Associate Professor
Comparative International Development
University of Washington