There is also a 19th century American tradition in this vein. People like John
Commons of the Wisconsin Progressive School wrote books with "Political Economy"
in the title. Of course, all this is before the rise of 20th century American
"Political Science," which by splitting economics from politics,  tried quite
explicitly to provide another explanation besides Marx's dialectical materialism
as the motor of history.

Joel Blau