Steuart published his book in 1767, although much of it was written decades
before -- possibly lifted from Cantillon.  The term, political economy, was first
used by Montechretian in the 17th C.  The idea was that term economy, concerned
the management of an estate.  Political economy meant that the terrain would
shift to the whole country.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department