[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Just to open a small parenthesis here. I was in fact criticizing Dorman
>and Hahnel against the claim that they were progressive.

Excuse me for jumping in here but I just signed onto the list and didn't have
access to this discussion earlier.  I just wanted to say a few things
regarding Hahnel & Albert.

While I've not read "Looking Forward" I have participated in ZNet & can say
that Hahnel & Albert's anti-Marxism is more anti-Leninism.  Trotsky's warm
remarks regarding increasing management power quoted by Louis are precisely
the kind of centralized control rejected in participatory economics.  Perhaps
Louis read about balanced job complexes and suddenly saw a future where he
might have to help sweep the shop & scrub the john.

It should be pointed out that Tariq Ali has recently opened a forum on ZNet.
This would seem to indicate that Albert's position is a bit more complex than
reflexive anti-Marxism.

Regarding utopianism, I thought regaining some semblance of vision was all
the rage on the Left these days.  I realize there remains a great deal of
self-consciousness regarding these speculations.  Immanuel Wallerstein
actually invented a new word, "Utopistics," to provide cover for such
indulgences.

cheers,

joe

>By this sort of definition, there must be about 347 "progressives" in
>the U.S., and 5,132 around the world. But as Lenin said, better fewer
>but better.

Doug