Mine,
Of course Bartlett is not a Marxist. That only adds weight to his central
conclusion, which is about thew terminally unsustainable nature of
capitalist crisis and not about population growth (don't get sidetracked
into wasting time on his *opinions* about that; it's his *arguments* about
exponential growth that need to addressed).

We need to orient our politics around THAT understanding. What does it mean
to say that capitalism is in TERMINAL crisis? What will happen in the next
few decades and how will the Left concretely use whatever chances it has got
to affect the outcome? Business as usual is OFF the menu. Population-growth
is a red-herring issue; the problem will be to avoid population die-ff and
this is NOT Malthusianism but a sober assessment of the world's addiciton to
oil and the consequences of it running out.

BTW 20% of US electricity is generated by nuclear.

Mark Jones
http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList