>There is no shortage of energy!!!!!
>
>Nor of any other resource.
>
>The environmental problem we have to solve is how to get rid of our
>garbage without fouling our environment to such an extent that it is
>inhospitable for human life.
>
>Rod

I agree that waste management is an urgent problem, but the reason
why there is "no shortage of energy nor of any other resources" is
that the market rations their use.  Econ 101 says that any shortage
can be cured by an appropriately higher price, so it seems there is
no point in celebrating an absence of shortage.  The poor in poor
countries have no access to electricity, clean water, reliable
transportation, household appliances, and other goods that consume
oil and other resources in their production, because they can't
afford them.  If everyone in the world were to live according to the
standards set by rich nations, wouldn't there be a problem (though
capitalism does prevent this particular problem from ever arising,
since the majority are doomed to poverty)?

Yoshie