Ken, dams *do* consume vast quantities of carbon in their construction, as
many as 12 gallons of oil per tonne of cement (the manufacture of which is
uitself a leading source of GHG). The world's major hydropower resources
have already been largely exploited. Some dams have a long service life,
which helps payback the iunitial energy investment and possibly justifies
the immense ecological damage and harm to communities which all major dams
always involve. Many dams silt up after a few years and cease to provide
power; they never pay back. But they leave disrupted ecosystems, ruined
wetlands and water basins, salinated soil and wrecked communities. But the
bottom line is that hydropower is marginal and absolutely irrelevant to the
problem caused by the end of Big Oil. Some theoreticians propose building
huge propellors in mid-Atlantic to be driven by the Gulf Stream; that's how
desperate people are. They better be quick, in case the Gulf Stream stops
flowing altogether because of global warming.

By 'hydragas crystal' you mean methane hydrates locked under arctic ice
sheets presumably. They are like cold fusion and other forms of perpetual
motion machines. They will never be exploited. The reasons why have been
laborious documented by myself (and I've been to the Soviet arctic icefields
myself and know what it theoretically involved) and many others. As you say,
if such hydrates ever were released it would be as a result of the melting
away of the ice sheets. The amounts of methane spontaneously released into
the atmosphere might, according to former Greenpeace man Jeremy Legget,
trigger the feared runaway global warming which would turn this planet into
Venus, hot enough to boil lead on.

Geothermal is not a solution. Nor is biomass. Even if current proposals to
grow prairie grass for biomass were widely implemented the energy economics
would not solve the problem. Americans will have to learn to catch the bus
and ride a bicycle.

BTW, it doesn't surprise me but it does sadden me to hear people start
saying things like "old growth forests are the worst trees from the point of
view of > global warming.> We should cut them all down". Keep going, you'll
get a job in the Dubya environmental team. Of course the same people who now
proudly point to the reforestation of New England which happened in the past
50 years as evidence of capitalism's enviornmentally-benign impact
(forgetting that the price the world has paid is the enormous quantity of
fossil carbon trhe US threw into the atmopshere instead) will immediatelt
start telling us what a bad thing from all sorts of *environmental* points
of view, old growth forests are and how we need to cut them all down as
quick as possible to get the ethanol to keep our SUV's going...

Mark Jones
http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList