It is not blame shifting.  I am saying that Capitalism has us emulating the
rich -- anybody richer than ourselves, regardless
of whatever level we are at as individuals.  And the people in the 89th
percentile are driven to live like those in the 90th.

    I'm not saying that the rich consume all that much (though we do) --
just that they teach us how we must live, or at least aspire to live.

    And the person going to McDonald's is trying to upgrade the take-home
so they can go to someplace they see their higher income
neighbors going to.

Gene Coyle