>    Dialectical materialists speak of thought mirroring, being a
reflection of,
>etc. matter in consciousness. This relationship has never been clear to
me. Lenin
>writes about perception and adopts the same mirroring imagery. This aspect of
>traditional  Marxism, at least dialectical materialism, is not discussed
by Levins
>at all.

The Dialectical Biologist

Richard Levins, Richard Lewontin

Harvard University Press 1985

A book review by Danny Yee ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), Copyright © 1993

http://www.anatomy.usyd.edu.au/danny/book-reviews/

The Dialectical Biologist is a collection of essays on various aspects of
biology. Richard Lewontin is a population geneticist and Richard Levins is
an ecologist, and they are both world-famous within their fields. Here they
are writing as Marxists (and dialectical materialists), and it is this that
gives this book its unique perspective. It was by reading this book that I
first came to an understanding of the dialectical method and attained some
grasp of Marx and Engel's broader philosophy. Perhaps this is because my
understanding of biology is better than my understanding of economics and
political theory, or perhaps it is simply because Marx's writings are
difficult to come to grips with and the commentary on them is so contentious.

The essays are divided into three sections. The first is about evolution,
and the three essays it contains are all attacks on the adaptionist,
neo-Darwinian view of the subject. The essays are lucid and well argued (as
one would expect from the author of The Genetic Basis of Evolutionary
Change) but there is a bit of repetition between them (two of them were
originally encyclopaedia articles on "Evolution" and "Adaption"). The
second section, entitled "On Anlysis", contains a warning of the potential
for misuse of the analysis of variance in genetics, the brilliantly funny
parody "Isadore Nabi on the Tendencies of Motion" and an essay on the
relationship between dialectics and reductionism which makes particular
reference to community ecology. The third section, entitled "Science as a
Social Product and the Social Product of Science", contains an eclectic
collection of essays on the use of science and the effects of social
factors on science. The essay titles are "Lysenkoism", "The Commoditization
of Science", "Biology in the Third World", "Political Economy of
Agricultural Research", "The Pesticide System", "Research Needs for Latin
Community Health" and "What is Human Nature?". The essay on Lysenkoism was
the one I found the most interesting; while not denying the scientific
errors involved, it is concerned to explain the full complexities of the
"affair", which are all too often ignored by those using it as a stick to
beat Marxism with. The common feature of all the essays is respect for the
complexities of social processes, scientific practice and the interaction
between them.

The conclusion is a short (around twenty page) general discussion on the
philosophical foundations of science entitled "Dialectics". It is one of
the best things I have ever read on the philosophy of science, and a worthy
conclusion to a great book. The Dialectical Biologist is heartily
recommended to anyone with an interest in biology or the philosophy of
science.

Louis Proyect