The opalescence [literally, opal-like] of some words just can't be left
without comment. Ostracism is one of them. Ostracism is from the Greek
ostrakízein which my Random House Webster's also tells me is akin to
óstreion: oyster, shell. Oysters indeed have shells but are famous for their
practice of depositing aragonite around irritating foreign bodies that come
within their shell, resulting in a lustrous, finely coloured -- one may say
opalescent -- orb valued as a gem.

Of course, oysters are also good breaded and fried or raw on the half shell.
Lewis Carroll wrote a poem about oysters in which the oysters' role was to
"come along for the ride" (but never to return) -- The Walras and the
Carpenter. Here's your essay assignment, worth 60 points, topic: compare and
contrast "marginal irritation" and the "oyster theory of value".

regards,

Tom Walker
http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/covenant.htm