Rob Schaap wrote:

>For what it's worth, Tom, I think your essay on neo-classical assumptions,
>measures and prescriptions as the miserable multiplication of misery
>(iatrogenic) is bloody wonderful.

 - snip, snip -

>Thanks, Tom!

And thank you, Rob. I hope your kind words will encourage others on pen-l to
have a look at http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/satanic.htm and, if they find
the narrative there interesting, to recommend it to others. For my part, I
have been systematically notifying the economics faculties of the English
speaking world of the URL of my -- dare I say irritant? -- essay. I've
started with MIT, Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, Princeton, Cambridge and LSE.
Here is one reply from a Stanford recipient:

"Please discontinue sending me rubbish."

In a more serious vein, here is another reply I received that is sincere,
amiable and yet eerily impervious to the implication of the peculiar
narrative that I recounted in my essay:

>Dear Mr. Walker,
>
>I think there is indeed a misunderstanding about the lump-of-labor
>fallacy.
>
>A perfect statement of the fallacious argument is in the "Iowa City
>Declaration" I found in your "Timework" website:
>
>> Increased labor productivity, unless accompanied by shorter hours,
>> tends to displace workers from employment in productive enterprise.
>> The result is higher unemployment or increasing employment in low-wage
>> occupations.
>
>This is perhaps better called "the lump-of-output fallacy" because it
>assumes that that there is only so much to produce and that if
>productivity increases, total hours worked decrease. But there is an
>obvious alternative: production may increase and total hours stay
>unchanged (and, of course, anything in beetween). What actually happens
>is an empirical matter, to be judged on a case by case basis.
>
>I remember reading somewhere (I think it was in a book by Prof.
>Pasinetti) that the social function of technological progress is to
>create unemployment. It is the function of economic progress to put
>those unemployed factors of production to work and produce those goods
>that we were too poor to afford before. Of course, one of these "luxury"
>goods could (and in many case should) be leisure.
>
>I fully agree with you that it would be wise for society (especially US
>society; the EU is in better shape on this regard - though in much worse
>shape about unemployment) to move towards fewer working hours. I believe
>that in many cases there would be efficiency losses in having fewer
>working hours per week, but I do not believe that fewer working hours
>per year would be a technical problem.
>
>Alas, this problem seems unlikely to be solved - paradoxically, for the
>same reasons why the opposite problem of motivating couch potatoes to do
>something useful with their lives will be unsolved. It is just too hard
>to change people's preferences - though, on the other front, Madison
>Avenue seems pretty good at that.
>
>Sincerely,

[Name withheld]

regards,