Worthy Petition

Dear friends,

We at the Drug Reform Coordination Network are writing today
to ask you to take two short minutes to raise your voice to
Congress on an issue of great importance.  The Higher
Education Act of 1998, signed into law last fall, includes a
provision that delays or denies all federal financial aid
eligibility for any drug conviction, no matter how minor.
Regardless of how you feel about drugs or the drug laws, we
hope you'll agree that cutting off access to educational
opportunity will be counterproductive and detrimental to the
future of tens of thousands of young people and to our
nation as a whole, and is an unnecessary and vindictive
second punishment leveled against people who have already
paid whatever price the criminal justice system demands.

Please take a few moments right now to fill out our online
Higher Education Act Reform Petition, calling on Congress to
enact H.R. 1053, a bill that would repeal the HEA drug
provision and restore judge's discretion.  Please visit
http://www.RaiseYourVoice.com to sign the petition and learn
more about the HEA drug provision and how and why students
and a wide range of national organizations, including the
ACLU, NAACP and the United States Students Association, are
organizing to oppose it.  Our petition will send a letter
from your e-mail address to YOUR U.S. Representative and two
Senators.  Again, the web site is:

               http://www.RaiseYourVoice.com

Don't let the war on drugs become a war on education!  Sign
the petition, and then take a minute to visit the "Tell
Your Friends" page on RaiseYourVoice or to forward this or
your own note to your friends and to appropriate mailing
lists and forums.  Here are some reasons the HEA drug
provision is wrong:

 * Judges already have the power to rescind financial aid
eligibility as individual cases warrant.  The HEA drug
provision removes that discretion.

 * The vast majority of Americans convicted of a drug
offense are convicted of non-violent, low-level possession.

 * The HEA drug provision represents a penalty levied only
on the poor and the working class; wealthier students will
not have the doors of college closed to them for want of
financial aid.

 * The HEA drug provision will also have a disparate impact
on different races.  African Americans, for example, who
comprise 13% of the population and 13% of all drug users,
account for more than 55% of those convicted of drug
charges.

 * No other class of offense carries automatic loss of
financial aid eligibility.

 * Access to a college education is the surest route to the
mainstream economy and a crime-free life.

For further information on the HEA reform campaign, visit
http://www.RaiseYourVoice.com and click on "Why HEA Reform?"
And visit http://www.u-net.org to learn more about the
student HEA reform campaign and how to get involved!  Visit
DRCNet's web site at http://www.drcnet.org for much more
information on the impact of the drug war on society.