Date sent:              Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:04:50 -0700
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From:                   Sid Shniad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                FLEEING THE LIES IN SERBIA ONLY TO FIND THEM IN NATO

The Vancouver Sun                                       April  28, 1999

L e t t e r  o f   t h e  d a y:

FLEEING THE LIES IN SERBIA ONLY TO FIND THEM IN NATO

        TV stations, a presidential residence, bridges, a tobacco
factory, a car plant ...
        NATO says these are legitimate military targets. I guess next
on the list are theatres, museums and cinemas. I believe soldiers in
all countries go to movies and visit exhibitions.
        For almost 10 years I was an editor and prime-time TV news
anchor for Radio-Television of Serbia. I was expelled from the
station in 1993 because I didn't want to write and read the lies.
        I left Yugoslavia the same year because I didn't want to live
in that environment anymore. I couldn't dream that I would be
moving into a world where editorial policies should comply with the
decisions of a supreme editor-general at NATO headquarters.
        If NATO can bomb a TV station, why not level other places
that might influence people's opinions or attitudes? Free press?
Forget it. If editors don't get articles approved by the supreme
editor-general, the newspaper building might become a target.
        This nightmare has gone too far. The main question is: What
will the future rules be for the game in international affairs?
        If NATO doesn't like a certain radio program, some general
could press a button and send a missile to destroy the station. If
NATO disagrees with a policy of the president of an independent
country, F-18s could bomb his bedroom.
        From the beginning, NATO's explanations of its Balkan
Storm objectives were on very shaky legs. NATO has attacked an
independent country that didn't endanger any member of the alliance.
NATO didn't seek the approval of the United Nations Security
Council. Furthermore, NATO keeps changing its objectives. At first,
it was implementing the Rambouillet accord; then to demolish and
diminish; now, refugees and Slobodan Milosevic as collateral
damage.
        George Orwell's 1984 looks like a kindergarten fairytale.

        Ivan Brzev, Vancouver