I want to strongly endorse this statement.  I too have strong feelings
about the "holocaust" issue.  I get angry when I hear this word (and
"genocide") tossed about casually in the context of Serbia/Kosovo -- not
only because, as obscene as the killing and expulsion is, it does not
compare to the Nazi policies, but also because it misses the main
point.  The allied war on Nazi Germany did not save any Jews (or
Gypsies, "superfluous" Slavs, etc.).  No effort was made to disrupt the
actual killing apparatus.  Refugees were spurned.  So, even in the
best-case scenario for war -- a real Hitler, a real holocaust -- the
military option failed to defend human rights.  This does not mean I
think war against Hitler was wrong, just that the lesson we should learn
from this is that war of this sort is not the answer to human rights
crises.  (The allied victory, to its credit, prevented Hitler from
establishing dominion over Europe.  No doubt NATO can claim the same
success with Milosevic if it wants.)

The only difference I have is with the mandate that international forces
be unarmed.  I agree that there are many situations where that would be
a good idea.  But I would not abstain from armed force in all
circumstances.  So what would distinguish the "good" armed forces of the
future from the disastrous forces of today?  (1) Genuine international
accountability.  This would require a post-hegemonic world, but the
struggle for a truly international regime of human rights and
accountable force would be a good lever for achieving post-hegemony.
(2) A focused human rights mandate.  Force should not be used to draw
borders, impose or depose governments, etc.  It should be used to defend
civilian communities, disarm the attackers, and guarantee the
enforcement of a set of fundamental rights.  (3) It should be generous
with economic aid in situations in which poverty is a cause of
violence.  In fact, the entire premise of such a force is that it would
command the overwhelming support of most locals (armed and unarmed
alike) through its credible promise to make life more peaceful and
fulfilling while retaining genuing political neutrality.  If it can't
command this support it should stay out.

Peter

Robert Naiman wrote:

> I think that an important point here that should be emphasized is that if you have
>good reason to believe that the government of country X has a plan to attack some
>part of its civilian population, then there is a strong argument that attacking that
>country militarily may be the *last* thing that you want to do, because there is a
>long history of wars being used as a pretext and cover for population explulsions,
>massacres, etc. Indeed, some are suggesting that Milosevic actually calculated that
>NATO attack would provide him the pretext and suitable environment for expulsions,
>and I think this is a plausible suggestion.
>
> Consider 1948 in Israel. Might fewer Palestinians have been expelled from Israel if
>the Arab nations hadn't attacked following the declaration of the state of Israel?
>We'll never know. Maybe more would have been expelled, if the armistice lines were
>different, maybe Palestinians would have been expelled from the West Bank and Gaza
>also. On the other hand, maybe the war consolidated the position of the more hawkish
>camp in the Israeli leadership -- there were divisions (Peretz Kidron in "Blaming the
>Victims" relates how the civilian population of Nazareth was spared, because the
>commander of the Israeli forces refused the order to expel its inhabitants.)
>Certainly the war swept aside the possibility of pressing the enforcement of the 1947
>UN partition plan, which would have been much better for the Palestinians than what
>happened. I'm not saying that a different policy was politically possible at the
>time, and most folks certainly didn't know what was in store, only that in!
 hin!