Last Response for the Day:

The top growth industries in the US today are sports stadiums and prisons
both of which involve--as usual--the socialization of costs of producing
increasingly concentrated and centralized privatized profits. The NFL and
other "sports" leagues are also essential components of the overall expanded
reproduction of the essential soil and ideological edifices of capitalism.
The wholesale commodification, gladiator-like spectacles, obscene salaries
and resource allocation priorities, star system etc is concentrated
capitalism reductio ad absurdum/nauseum.

One person I know described football as "simulated gang rape with guys  on
opposing teams wearing tight pants, patting each other on the ass and trying
to get into each other's "end zones." An interesting extended metaphor
indeed; perhaps a bit salacious or even Freudian.

But the bottom line is that all of these stadiums (like the new "SAFECO"
stadium in Seattle already going way over cost with more please to the
taxpayers to pay for the infrastructure of games and sports unaffordable for
most of those whose taxes pay for the construction) produce severe
distortions in resource allocations, land prices and complementary
infrastructure (roads to and from the stadiums and parking areas always top
of the line with infrastructure elsewhere left to wither) and any
"trickle-down" or "spread effects" are marginal if at all in terms of
reaching the really poor and dispossessed and unemployed. In Seattle, the
vast vast majority of workers at the Kingdome live no where near the dome
(they are imported), very few, only a select few, of the local businesses
get any revenues from the local multiplier effects or any customers staying
after the game or coming before the game, so that the supposed income,
employment, tax revenue and construction multiplier effects mare marginal
for those near the stadium and overall, when factoring in opportunity
cost--alternative uses for those funds--the net socialized costs bring few
socialized benefits or revenues.

But the whole value system associated with commercialized sports under
capitalism is, in my opinion, sick, twisted, perverted and can bring nothing
wholesome to the society at large; only more ugly commodification of people
and things, violence, injuries and ostentacious decadence for the ultra-rich
in their select boxes, obscene advertising rates for 15-second spots (passed
on to customers) and just nothing of any real value to the many.

Jim C