Peter wrote:
>There is evidence that General Motors conspired to destroy dozens of
public transit systems in the 1930's and '40s, ...<

I don't know about other cities, but GM and others definitely conspired to
destroy the "Red Line" trolley system in Los Angeles. In fact, they
succeeded in doing so, making LA into Car Heaven (complete with the
Peterson Automobile Museum, a temple for worshipping cars). I have a map of
the old Red Line system on my office wall: where once there were trolleys,
there are now often freeways, often parallel to the Red Lines.

Even though this conspiracy shows up in the film "who framed Roger
Rabbit?," we should not rely on this conspiracy theory alone. In addition,
the upper-class (and to a lesser extent, middle-class) whites who ran Los
Angeles in those days had given up on the Red Cars. The trolley system
needed a lot of investment in order to make up for normal wear and tear. In
addition, investment was needed to deal with the fact that the trolleys
conflicted with the cars at large number of crossings -- and the period
after World War II was an era when people were in love with their cars (if
they could afford them). In a period of pro-car and laissez-faire sentiment
among those with political influence, this investment was not done.

It wasn't just the GM conspiracy. It was also that the politically-relevant
public rolled over and played dead.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html