Fair questions all.

Nussbaum's list keeps changing, which is human and understandable, but
points to the difficulty of anyone saying what the objective conditions
for human flourishing really are.

Actually, the list is pretty good, as far as it goes.  Any such list,
however, puts people in the position of objects: we will give you this
set of conditions and you will have the opportunity to liberate/fulfill
yourself.  It is this posture that I would regard as sterile.  (There is
more than a whiff of this in Marxism, too -- which is not surprising,
since Marx drew significantly on Aristotle.)

I am more in tune with Dewey's notion that the concrete conditions for
human fulfillment are unknown in any specific historical moment, and
that only a democratic process of trial and error, along with respectful
dialogue among equals, can approach them.  This is an activist
conception, and it avoids the political problems that inevitably arise
when one group decides what is in the "objective" interests of another.

Peter

ps: One indispensable portion of the democratic group, of course, is
exactly those professionals (education, public health, environmental
science, etc.) whose personal and collective commitments are to the
sorts of substantive goals described by Mumford/Sen/Nussbaum et al.
Obviously, it is not simply a case of The Democracy of the Masses versus
The Paternalism of the Experts.  Believe me, I wrestle with this problem
all the time in my incarnation as a public health economist.