>Lou,
>
>I was surprised to see you uncritically post a piece by Bill
>McKibben. His bourgeois antiurban romanticism seems deeply at odds with
>Marxism, even your own somewhat peculiar romanticized preindustrial
>Marxist fantasia. Were I feeling less kind, I'd say your style of Marxism
>has a face that only a NYC cubicle dwelling computer geek could love.
>
>Frances

Actually McKibben is fairly reactionary on the "population control" issue
and was one of the ideological leaders of the recently defeated
anti-immigration measure put forward in the Sierra Club in California. I
was more interested in the books being reviewed than I was in McKibben's
own politics. As far as my "preindustrial Marxist fantasia" is concerned, I
haven't heard this kind of idiotic garbage since Jim Heartfield stalked off
the Marxism list 6 months or so ago when I asked him to differentiate his
politics from JFK's "Alliance for Progress". Just to remind people what I
really believe, here's the concluding paragraph in my review of Jerry
Mander's "In the Absence of the Sacred":
===
In the chapter "Seven Negative Points About Computers," Mander takes
exception to the Canadian government's attempt to provide computer training
to Indians for the purpose of resource management. Mander challenges the
notion that trees, grizzly bears, water, etc., are "resources." They are
rather part of mother nature and Indians should use traditional methods of
keeping track of them, which is much more intuitive than a computer can
hope to achieve.

This is bad advice. The Indians of the United States are facing a
fundamental challenge with respect to resources like oil, coal, gas and
uranium. There is no "traditional" way of keeping track of them since
traditional society had no particular use for them. Meanwhile, there are
vicious, greedy corporations who want to avoid paying royalties to the
tribes, while polluting the water and soil on their land. How can one
prevent this? Clearly, this involves keeping accurate records of the
quantity of such resources and accounting exactly for royalties. There are
estimates that billions of dollars have been stolen from the Indian because
of shady bookkeeping practices by the government and the corporations. The
only way that this can be prevented is if Indians develop their own
expertise and know for sure what they own and how much it is worth.

Mander cites an article in the October 1984 issue of "Development Forum"
titled "Worshipping a False God," by Ken Darrow and Michael Saxenian. The
authors, who have been involved in developing small-scale technology in
third world countries, reject the use of computers. They do not think that
computers can provide low-cost communications and information processing
needs to primarily agrarian societies. This is "dangerous nonsense" and
Mander agrees with them. They say, "In a poor country, using a
microcomputer linked by satellite to an information system half-way round
the world...is absurd."

To the contrary, it is "dangerous nonsense" for indigenous peoples to avoid
using computers in this manner. Anybody who has been following the
Zapatista struggle for the past few years understands how crucial the
Internet has been. Not only has it served to educate people all around the
world about what these Mayan peoples are fighting for, it has also provided
an emergency response mechanism when the Mexican government has attempted
to repress the movement. Immediately after the massacre in Chiapas last
month that took the lives of 44 people, the Internet became a beehive of
activity as word circulated. Demonstrations, picket-lines and other forms
of protest forced the Mexican government to open up an investigation and
public awareness will surely make it more difficult to repress the movement
in the future.

Furthermore, the World Wide Web is replete with pages devoted to struggles
of land-based peoples all around the world, including the American Indian.
The information originates with the tribes themselves and provides an
accurate source of information in contrast to the misinformation contained
in the daily newspaper or television and radio. For somebody to tell
Indians not to use computers is not only arrogant, it is stupid.

Louis Proyect