I suspect that a society can never successfully fight racism or
discrimination directly, even with strong organizations dedicated
specifically to that objective.  I think that you need a backbone of
other sorts of organizations.  Does this study support my perspective?

Baker, Michael and Nicole M. Fortin. 1999. "Women's Wages in
Women's Work: A U.S./Canada Comparison of the Roles of Unions and
"Public Goods" Sector Jobs." American Economic Review, 89: 2
(May): pp. 198-203.
       They say that women's wages are almost as high as men's in
        Canada, but not in the United States.  The reason they give
        is the higher rate of unionization in Canada.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321