I never challenged that Kevin Watkins is a well-informed researcher. Clearly he is.

But analysis is one thing, and advocacy another.

And one should distinguish between two types of advocacy: rhetorical, and specific
policy.

I agree that Oxfam is fine at the level of general rhetoric. So is Clinton and so,
now, the IMF, which has now renamed the "Enhanced Structural Adjustment Facility" to
the "Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility."

But as Uncle Whiskers said, "Every shopkeeper knows the difference between what men
are, and what they say they are. But our bourgeois historians have not yet won even
this most trivial insight."

The claim that the new ESAF will be different from the old has three legs.

1. The name has changed.

I regard this argument as beneath discussion.

2. There is a new "policy framework paper."

This argument really should be beneath discussion. Suffice it to say that 1) NGO
analysis -- even by the weak NGOs -- shows that this document does not clarify what
change, if any, can be expected in the existing IMF conditionality, only that there
will be additional "poverty" conditionality; and 2) (more importantly) documents can
be ignored, and they are, if no-one has the ability and willingness to force them to
be honored.

3. Now ESAF will be jointly managed by the Fund and the Bank, and agreements will be
subject to Bank approval.

This is all there is in terms of real change. So whether you think there is a change
depends on whether you trust the Bank to be able/willing to force change. Not
something one should be sanguine about, when you consider the Bank's record.

Skeptical? The only leverage that has made any difference is unwillingness to fund
ESAF. A skeptical approach would be: the change in rhetoric is welcome, let's see the
practical result, and then we'll give you more money. The Oxfam approach is to support
the money now in exchange for rhetoric. The history of exchanging money for IFI
rhetoric is: no real change. Why should it be any different now? If Oxfam has its way,
the IFIs will get the money now, and a few years from now everyone will be complaining
that the IMF didn't follow through, when the Jubilee 2000 North groups may have left
the scene. Why give away the only real leverage that people have outside the
institutions, precisely when they are most vulnerable? Why undercut everyone who has
been campaigning against ESAF?

And the foregoing discussion completely ignores the most fundamental question. Do
people in the South really want increased IMF conditionality, to ratify the expansion
of the IMF into managing "development"?

If Kevin Watkins is so great, let him agree to a public debate with someone chosen by
Jubilee 2000 South, on whether the IMF should get out. For that matter, let him agree
to a public debate with Jeff Sachs, who is more progressive on these issues. But
perhaps he is too shrewd for that.

As for

>I am sure in moral principle many of the more radical criticisms in the
>South are correct. It would be idealist to think that the massive economic
>privileges of the populations of the north are not a drag anchor on the
>ability of northern campaigners to promote more radical solutions. With a
>thirty fold gradient in wage rates across the world a world economic
>development programme promoting average remuneration would involve a
>cataclysmic reduction in the living standards of the population of the
>advanced countries. When for example would our dear pets ever be able to
>eat tinned meat again?

I can't speak for the UK, but I hardly think this is the problem in the US. If there
were a popular referendum in the U.S. on whether the IMF should continue to receive US
funding, we would win handily. If the vote were held among Oxfam type NGOs the vote
would go the other way.

I rather think the problem is that many of the debt campaigners in the north have
class origins and class positions which dispose them to be less radical than the
general population on economic issues, particularly when it comes to Western economic
imperialism.

Robert Naiman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Preamble Center
1737 21st NW