> Wallerstein and Frank's approach is greatly appreciated
> by intellectuals who are trying to defend clowns masquarading in
> nationalist costumes, like the great leader of Malaysia.  Any criticisms
> of their 'nationalism' is, conveniently, labelled "Eurocentric" (or
> racist...), end of discussion.  For, after all, the clown is a leader of a
> "Periphery" nation, battling a "Core" or "Western"  nation...Before Henry
> left, one of his last posts was such a call for support for
> Mahathir...
> Steve

Come on, what could you use possibly have against Mohamad Mahathir?
After all, his government has used of class, gender, and ethnic politics
to maintain workplace stability by opposing national electronics union,
terrorizing and imprisoning labor organizers, and playing Malay workers
against Chinese workers.   The political grouping that he heads (United
Malays National Organization/UNMO) has functioned as a holding company
for many of large domestic firms and join ventures with transnational
capital.  Since coming to power in 1981, Mahathir regime's 'bureaucratic
authoritarianism' has furthered interests of political state, local
capital, and foreign investors while forcing working people to bear the
brunt of its 'developmentalist integration' with regional and global
economy.  I can think of more appropriate word than "clown' to describe
him.   Michael Hoover